Friday 22 January 2016

HUNGER REMINDS YOU OF YOUR MARITAL STATUS

 Image result for yawning pic
Exhausted from the day's hustle, I was trudging home thinking of super. I was tired of everyday indomie and egg, Mama Arinze is a good cook but since the turn of the year, i have noticed an unbearable degree of commercialization. I once asked her about the reduction in meat size and general food quantity. Her reply was as epic as the $2.1bn scam, 'my son, na BUHARI OOOOOO'.

'I can't eat another indomie tonight', I said to myself. For a moment i thought about those flakes that saved our lives back in the days as broke students; biscuit flakes, corn flakes. Then i thought i have found my dinner; a sizeable amount of Ijebu garri garnished with quite a number of groundnuts, adequate sugar, suitable amount of powdered milk. Then carefully and delicious mixed with chilled water. I smiled and wanted to sing, but my hope was quickly dashed by the stark reality that the only shop in my street that sells garri where I already was closed. Iya beji quarreled with her husband some days back. Maybe she has been sent packing.
I couldn't turn back to scout other streets for garri and co. It was past ten and I was extremely exhausted. Suddenly I had a brainwave; Chinedu my neighbor got married last year. We are good friends and though the aromas from his wife's kitchen were always seducing, I have always 'held my own'. I have always resisted the devil vehemently 'get behind me you flavored aroma of long throat and begging'. 'Tonight, I have to beg'. I quickly hatched my plan; I would greet him thunderously from the gate of the compound in a humorous way. Then I would knock on his door. His nursing wife would sure be the one to open the door. Gladly and full of smiles I would take the baby girl from her and sing her some songs. Then I would gist with my good neighbor. If no food is forthcoming then I would jokingly ask whether baby has eaten. Then from there, maybe I would request a plate of food to eat with baby arguing that if she declines to eat, then I would confirm that she has been nutritiously served afore.

'Neighbour!, neighbour,!!', I shouted from the compound gate. No replies. Then I proceeded to his door and knocked. Another suggestive silence. Hunger in me was persistent so was my resolve to 'scavenge'. I knocked until the door clicked open and I met a family saying their night prayer. I wanted to excuse them but I said to myself 'maybe they always say their night prayer in conjunction with their prayer before meal thanking the God that provides before they eat what He had provided. What a family! So, I asked if I may join. I was shown a seat. After the Bible reading, we sang and my neighbor concluded 'may God almighty grant us a quiet night and a perfect end. We all shouted Amen. We exchanged greetings before the wife asked the houseboy to go and wash all the pots and plates before sleeping. At that point, I knew my game was up. But I had knocked for a reason, so my neighbor was waiting to hear me out. Quickly, I turned to him and asked if he had seen the PHCN bill by the gate. Before he could reply I was already on my way out. Climbing my stairs, I pondered on my situation and on the lasts words of the prayer, “Will God almighty be granting this family a quiet night while condemning me to a hunger-stricken end?"

‪#‎Classof‬'80sgogetawife#

No comments:

Post a Comment