Tuesday 12 June 2018

*I WILL TAKE MY SHOTS*

Image may contain: 3 people, selfie, tree, outdoor and closeupThe decision to shoot is not always an easy one. First you decide to aim, then you decide to pull back the trigger, and then you decide to withstand the recoil.
But when you decide to load the gun, and place it onto the palms of a natural shooter, with you at a possible smoking end. Then you are taking a long shot.

That was exactly what I did, when I decided without coercion, to pay a visit to an eco-friendly, human-at-your-own-risk reserve.
The receptionists explained the risk of an unguarded terrain, and after consulting with my babe, I gave a lovely-informed consent: *I go shoot my shot*.

That was how we started a journey into a mangrove forest, with deadly animals lurking underneath a wooden pathway. Monkeys swaying and swerving in search of meal. Birds twittering and chirping away tunes of uncertainty. Pythons and cobras watching from distances. Of course the receptionist was clear on this one: *You may or may not see the python. But the python will see you*. I prayed the heavens to save me from this self-imposed trek with uncertainty and danger flanking me.

At each ripple generated in the dark waters, I incriminated the python and/or the crocodiles. A 15minute walk became a 40yrs exodus from the land of Egypt for me. The only difference was that why the Israelites ran from an unfriendly land to a promised land, I was freely moving opposite, towards a land flowing with snakes and crocodiles.

My assent to embark on the 401meters walk atop a canopy that peaked at 22.5ft above the ground, was a revelation that I was being piloted by some wicked village herbalists. Given that I might be 5% acrophobic, the decision to mount that swinging suspension was an enchanted one.Image may contain: one or more people, bridge and outdoor

Every step on that unsteady suspension, sounded like a panic attack. The gait was unsteady, unstable. Every step was a misstep. Before we approached the second tower, I beckoned on my late grandfather to intercede on my behalf. He was a traditionalist before he came a Christian. So I believed his versatility on both divides, would make my case more appealing to whichever god that chooses to answer pronto.

But a sharp swing caused by a fellow tourist who mostly tripped, forced me into withdrawing my case from my grandfather. *I fight here, I die here*. But falling 22.5ft to your death, isn't exactly a good death. Especially given the fact, that a python might make a diving to (save) swallow you. So I changed my bravery slogan: *I fight here, I conquer here*.

The canopy walkway granted me the opportunity to touch the topmost part of a tree. It gave me a bird's eye view too, so I appreciated the view from the topmost. But denying me of strong winds to fly down, was like setting up the tortoise for a gravitational descent.
401meters and six towers, then we were down again. I blessed the heavens. Then through the jungle again and out.

*Nature is kind*, seemed to be the message being passed by the 95yrs old tortoise, calmly lying by the corner.
*You've got only one life to live.*
*take your shots*
You know you can visit Lekki Conservation Center later?
©BENCHUKISH

No comments:

Post a Comment