Tuesday 14 June 2016

A TOP THE PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE

Image result for pedestrian bridge pix
So I got the call that I should have to wait another 30mins before coming for the package. I was already a top the pedestrian bridge; it was newly completed so its pitiable inhabitants have not moved in completely. So I decided to wait and waste some times up above. 

Looking down from the bridge and forward, backward and sideways I momentarily had the feel of a god powerful to some extent to inflict harm and to reward goodness. No wonder they say that the view from the top is beautiful. I felt in control. I could see everything happening(forgive my manners. I actually meant virtually everything). 

I saw the commuters gearing at high speed to meet the daily targets agreed with the bus owners. Stopping at intervals to pick and let passengers alight. I smiled and 'blessed' them.

Then I couldn't help but see the on rushing and jostling Lagosians in a bid to get to their various working places and businesses. Some driving to work, some using public transport and some using their God-given legs. Again, I looked upon them from my standing above and 'blessed' them.

It was around 7:09am in the morning. Then I saw two uniformed kids trying so hard to cross the four-laned road. The bus was still far when the older one tried to drag the younger across but her bag fell, so they had to run back. The bus passed. Other buses followed up behind like they had been freed from a traffic jam. The older kid continued to wave the buses to a stop but to know avail. I pitied them. But then, why try crossing the four-laned road at such high risk when they could have easily looked up to 'me' and use my 'way'. Oh, how we suffer so much when we could just look up to God and follow His way. I signaled to them with both sign and spoken sounds and they eventually climbed the pedestrian and walked across. God loves children. And He has a way of speaking with understanding with them. How I wish I would go back to my childhood. 

The roadside hawkers were early. Taking advantage of every traffic and bus stop to sell their goods. The passengers pray against traffic. The hawkers pray for it. I wonder how to balance the different requests to their prayers. I seemed not to find an easy way to help them. I may be a god by my standard but I'm not omnipotent in any way.

Then my phone started to ring again. I was like, oh, I here trying to solve confusing prayer requests and another call from probably another person in need is coming. I angrily reached into my pocket and picked the phone. The voice from the other end, then said; " Sir, please come and pick your package. It's ready". I came back to my humanity. I'm no God. Just a human being created in the image and likeness of God.

#GodisGood#

No comments:

Post a Comment