Wednesday 30 November 2016

LOOSE YOUR CHAINS

 Image result for LOOSE CHAINS

If we do nothing, but make jokes from every national disgrace. Of we do nothing but scan through our social media accounts for jokes, comic clips and picture updates from friends and enemies. If we fold our hands and watch the destiny of ours and that of our kids unfold through the hands of this past and present system, then I can easily tell us that OUR FUTURE hold nothing. It's not rocket science. 

Everything is not normal. Yet we act normal. There is Fire on the mountain, and no one seems to be on the run, Asa told us. 

Every sector is a failure; politics, health, education, transportation etc.

Our educational system is affected the most. The best things we learn from universities is English speaking.
No exposure to knowledge. No complete practical. Even when a practical is concocted, no reasonable result is gotten. We spend years in our universities imagining and most times wrongly the things we were being taught. We pass examinations without fully understanding the concepts. Ask most Biochemistry graduates to differentiate amongst gene, chromosomes and DNA with exactness and watch the drama unfold. Ask the Microbiology graduates to explain with exactness the process of fermentation highlighting the unit operations and the enzymes involved and you see my point.

I spent years in the university passing examinations on some courses without full understanding. And when we dared to read further we failed and were called "I TOO KNOW". In one course, I was asked to explain a concept. I did, with detailed structures and eligible writing but I got 6/30. When I met the lecturer for an explanation, he told me blatantly that I was too detailed. Of course, in the examination I was as brief as his notes and I got 64/70. I made my first class knowing fully well I won't encourage my son to aim that high in academics esp in Nigeria.

Our engineering graduates can't even fix a bulb properly. Most read Literature and graduated just by answering "who said this, to whom, when and what was the implication?". We produce economists and accountants who can't even balance a profit and loss account seconds after their graduation.
Today, I have a post graduate examination on Nutrition. Of course I will pass (God blessed me that much). But I will pass answering elementary questions on Digestion of protein, carbohydrates and fats. So what's the difference between post graduate and junior secondary school?

The results are easily evident: Lawyers become entrepreneurs. Accountants become sales girls. Engineers hustle on the streets. Biochemists work in Banks. Journalists turn musicians. The basic advice becomes entrepreneurship knowing fully well that we are all unemployable in the real sense of it. Knowing fully well that the system is a failure.

Karl Max would have said:

" Nigerian youths arise. You have nothing to lose but your chains. You have your future to determine.

photo credit: www.brokenchains.us

1 comment: