Friday 30 December 2016

VILLAGE NOSTALGIA

 Image result for bush meats
This is the penultimate day of 2016.

I have not written nor read for days now. I have been bitter and I refuse to be consoled. Everything outside is turning rancid, sour.

Here I write to you with tears threatening to trickle down by cheeks. This is my first Christmas and plausible new year to be spent away from my hometown, away from our densely forested village.
All the years of my life, I have always travelled during this festive period and holidays. For the best part of our childhood and adolescence, Dad made 23rd December memorable. The day will move to the villa. Even as a corper serving in the farthest Northwestern part of country- SOKOTO, I still dared the almost 48hrs highway journey to be with my family at Christmas.

I have been in Lagos for about 5yrs now, and I have celebrated all my Christmasses in our villa. But this year I couldn't. Business schedule made it extremely impossible. Most of our consignments conspired and chose ETAs a day before and some days after Christmas.
I knew what I was missing in the villa. I tried not to think about them but Arinze made sure I had to mourn them.

Yesterday he called

"Hello, Benoooo, how far? Which side you dey? We dey T-junction with Ofodile, Nzube and Ik."
I replied him that I was taking care of some business in Lagos. Instead of ending the call he started singing praises to Nwanyi Eke Bush meat and palm joint spot located in our famous T-junction.
"Benoooo, you dey miss oooo. How can you miss out on this year's delicious bush meats? Freshly killed and hung adjacent to each other with blood still trickling down from them. We just pointed at one now and in few minutes we will be taking sweet bites off the anu nchi and sweeping down our oesophagus with freshly tapped palmwine as the transporter."

I wanted to say ENOUGH but his words came out faster than mine: "Mecus Mecus came back from Malaysia on 27th. Yesterday we went to Villa Park in Nnewi with some of his friends. Their barbecue and fish peppersoup were to natural. The fish scented and tasted naturally different from all these Lagos chemically-fed fishes."

He continued: " Omo come see babes from different cities sparkling and waiting to be 'hello'd'."

Quickly I cut in and told him I was married. What babes?!!!!

He apologized and asked after madam. Then continued: " Ehe, Stan is getting married on 31st, we were be there live in Awka-etiti. January 2nd I will be in Uga for Ostia Turkey's trad. Then on the 4th we will be heading to Aguata, that small Kingsley that left villa two years ago for Japan will be opening his Duplex. He will also be doing the funeral ceremony of his father that died 10yrs ago.
I said: no wahala. Enjoy.

Then he said: "please could you please go over to my street. Go to my house and check whether I locked the fuel tap of my generator se."

I ended the call before I could hear the "t" in set.

Christmas is best celebrated in your hometown.

Photo credit: www.mywanderlist.com

7 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaha... I can't stop my self from laughing, you have such great friends. #Lol# take heart Bro, at least you have you lovely wife by your side to crown your day with lots of peace, love and comfort with her freshly cooked pot of soup, stew, sauce & her soothing, reliefing company to ease them all down.
    Well, as for me am enroute 042 the coal city state to bear witness to the spoken word's of your dear friend in my own atmosphere.. #Lol#
    There would be bush meat & palm wine next year.
    Once more, *jide obigi aka*..#Hahaha#
    Merry Xmas and a fulfulling new year to you & alluring wifey...
    #winks#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merry xmas to you bro. i wish you can return with some anu nchi. wifey will turn it into a celebration

      Delete
  2. my broda dere is no place like home.....altho I knw with Iyawo u r in a home away from home....dis is ur 1st festive season as a Married man....guess she'll give u everyfin....I mean "EVERYFIN" as fresh as u want it*winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaha. no place like home truly. anu nchi no dey for lagos nah. freshly killed

      Delete
  3. Lolzzzz...
    Ehya pele, I feel ur pains bt no worry dis year we go must travel, buhari like am or not.

    ReplyDelete