Tuesday 10 January 2017

FROM SUBURB TO URBAN

It was after my senior secondary school examinations that I first visited Lagos. Eko as it is popularly called was a great longing for most of us that grew up in the suburbs. We have heard about the giant flyovers, the no vernacular city that made most of its dwellers speak pidgin with enviable fluency whenever they returned home during festivities. We have heard about the beauty of FESTAC and the foreignness of Victoria Island. We've been made to resent our village streams by the captivating stories of bar beach; the rolling waves, the music, the horses, the smoked fishes and the bikini ladies. We have heard about the National Theatre with its out-of-the world edifice. Once in the national theatre premise, we would see Genevieve Nnaji, Emeka Ike, Omotola, Nkem Owo and Liz Benson as the story went. We felt backward. Even my eyes have not seen our own uwaezuoke and Nze Oderaa. 

So when big brother came back from Lagos after my SSCE, I pleaded with him to ask papa to let me travel back with him. He told papa and after some resistance and hesistance, a week-long visit was granted. My joy when papa finally said: " nsogbu adiro, but biko sooso otu izu uka ka oga ano nata ( No problem, just one week and he is back)" was exceeding. Greater than when Nigeria won Brazil in Atlanta '96.

Elder brother was to go back in three days time, so I started my preparation. My brother bought me a travelling bag. According to him, none of my boarding school bags were fit for travelling to the city. My shirts too, so he took me to Onitsha main market and my local wardrobe was transformed to Eko wardrobe.

The transformation was real. My immediate elder and only sister cried all she could but her own request to travel was turned down my mama even before it got to dad. Mama said constantly: " She won't be traveling to anywhere just yet. I need her in the kitchen. She is my only daughter." To compensate her, a travelling bag was also bought for her, but it was only to properly pack up her too many clothes. I told her I will get her some goodies while coming back from the city but that remark had an undesired feedback; she cried the more.

We got to the bus park in the wee hours of the morning. Upper Iweka was already getting crowded to my surprise. And even some luxurious buses were already fully occupied, ready to start off the journey. The journey according to big brother is usually between 8 to 9hrs by road.....
(TO BE CONTINUED)

photo credit: www.jujufilms.tv

2 comments: