Thursday 12 January 2017

FROM SUBURB TO URBAN

Image result for inside young shall grow luxurious bus
.......My first feel of traveling. My first feel of Eko. And surely my first feel of what is to come
"Captain my brother, how far?" My big brother turned and greeted a man with gleeful handshake, a knuckle and a hug. I looked closely to identify the young man but couldn’t. They must have met in Lagos. I have heard from the too many stories about Eko that Igbos in Lagos see themselves more like brothers than friends. Away from home and one identifies someone he shares the same culture and language with, he feels brotherhood, "nwanne di na mba". 

When they got the tickets my brother introduced his friend to me: "This is Ekene my friend, we served the same Oga in Lagos and we now stay in the same market". Ekene brought out his hands for a handshake and I received the kind gesture with my two hands, the left palm grasping the right wrist. "You look exactly like Captain your brother. Just that you are more innocent". I didn't know exactly how to react to such compliments. But I just smiled while I watched 'captain' my brother defend his innocence. I have never heard anyone call my big brother Emeka, Captain. Lagos seemed to change everything. Maybe my brother also plays for a football team in Lagos. And maybe he plays so well, he is now the captain. Maybe his Super Eagle call-up is just within reach. 

We got into the luxurious and it was as luxurious as was described; two narrow sides occupied by two adjustable seats per row and a central aisle for easy passage. In front and at the center top were television sets mounted for our viewing pleasure. Captain led the way checking our seat numbers against the underside of the compartments where smaller luggage were kept. We inserted our bag into the compartment just above our seat numbers. I was elated. I was just smiling. I was glad. I was in a luxurious bus for the first time in my life. I wished my sister would see me now, I wished all my secondary school classmates would see me. For myself I was proud. In myself I was happy. Sitting down was not just right. I would sit with my two hands placed perfectly on my knees like mass servers on the altar. Then I folded my arms. Again it doesn't seem right. I rested both arms on the armrest I felt too proud. I removed them and then I clasped the two palms together and placed them between my thighs and I felt innocent, new and yearning to discover. 

Before the journey started, big brother Captain bought gala, some soft drinks and #200 mtn credit. He would later go on to call papa that we were about leaving Onitsha. Mama asked to speak with me. We did, she blessed me and reminded me to say my rosary "The journey is far nwa m. Kpee chaplet gi ofuma" she said.

TO BE CONTINUED

photo credit: thesheet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment