Wednesday 11 January 2017

SUBURB TO URBAN


......The journey according to big brother is usually between 8 to 9hrs by road. Anyway I don't need the ETA information. I have always calculated it whenever papa told us that big brother will be coming back from Lagos or whenever i woke up and heard that he had left for Lagos. 

Immediately we alighted from the bike that took us to the park, big brother gave me the first advice for a first-timer; "Nnaa, hold your bag well. Just follow me". I nodded without quite understanding the need for the instruction until when we took few steps towards the park. First I thought it was robbery; two men probably in their late twenties suddenly appeared from nowhere infront of us and were dragging my bag off my hand. Frightened, I turned to my brother who quickly shouted at them and they let go but continued to seek for patronage: "bros bianu banye confirmed luxurious bus. No one chance". While one was motioning this way, the other was pointing us to another angle. I would later in the bus ponder on the never-before-heard commanding tone with which my brother calmed my 'assailants'. I wasn't one of His apostles but at that moment I felt it would have been the same tone with which our Lord quietend the turbulent sea. The same tone with which He called Peter, Satan and ordered him to get behind. Same tone with which He ordered the Legion of demons to depart from their captive and drown alongside the expendable pigs. Maybe living in Eko bestows on one some celestial confidence. 

He walked briskly while I followed up behind. He kept looking back to make sure I was right behind. The big buses were lined up in different parks except for the ones already making their exit. Smaller buses parked just beside the highways with a destination board placed atop. As we passed one of those smaller buses, my brother turned and said to me: "be wary of these smaller buses". Again i nodded without quite understanding. We entered a loading park with about 5 big buses lined parallel to each other. Different colors but with one inscription in common: YOUNG SHALL GROW MOTORS. The inscription was written in a V form with SHALL GROW forming most of the inverted apex. 

I have always boarded buses before. Small buses within the suburb and big buses between the suburbs. But there was something different about the YOUNG SHALL GROW buses; they were bigger, colorful and above all, they were LUXURIOUS. 

Luxurious buses according to the so many stories we were told by the 'been-tos' were heaven on earth: AC tight that keeps the inside at freezing temperature. The seats were so many and so comfortable. One can easily adjust the seats even to a sleeping position. And it's just two people aside. The luxurious buses according to the legends were so tall and big you feel you are on top of the world once you are inside. To make it more desirable and a bus of our dreams, our narrators never fell to mention that the buses have inbuilt television with a video machine with which the passengers are treated to various captivating movies till they get to Lagos city. 

Once we were in the park, and close to one of the buses, I stretched out my palms and touched the bus. With my fingers I caressed the bus for a feel of the luxury. This was surely my first feel of urbanization. My first feel of traveling. My first feel of Eko. And surely my first feel of what is to come.
(TO BE CONTINUED)

Photo credit: cknnnigeria.com

No comments:

Post a Comment